Monday, November 26, 2007

November check-up



Last month I decided to do monthly check ups, to sort of help me keep myself in check. I can't believe I actually remembered to do it this month, that in itself is an accomplishment.

Do I plan to sell the stuff I make?
Last week and the week before that I was really excited about the possibility of starting a craft-related business. This week, I'm not feeling as confident about it. I had a couple of ideas storming around in my head but then thoughts of "not good enough" began to infest my mind. I'm mostly frustrated with the fact that all of the things that I enjoy making seem to take a very long time to finish. Either I live with that fact and decide to make one off items at premium prices (which I don't think I'm particularly good enough to do) or come up with a better production process and compromise some of the designs. I haven't given up on the idea, but to be perfectly honest - I'm a little less hopeful about the whole thing this week.

It's insane, but I seem to be having schedule/timing issues with crafting. I have tons of ideas floating in my head and I'm having issues prioritizing. I really want to make Christmas ornaments for my own tree but that idea totally conflicts with the need to finish the calendar (one more month to go). You would think that I have all the time in the world, but the clock ticks at an insane pace when your mind is full of I want to make... ideas!

Am I any closer to owning my own shop?
I'm happy to report that this dream is still very much alive. There are so many shops both online and brick & mortar that inspire me on a daily basis. Hillsy and I have been discussing whether starting an online shop would be a better option at this stage.

Unfortunately the concept of the shop is still evolving. I'm slowly moving away from my original idea and hoping to do something closer to my heart.

Updates since last check-up:
I have filed for a DBA and waiting to see whether NYC approves it. I'm told that it should take approx 20 business days so I should know by end of the month. If I had to do it over again, I probably would've filed the DBA on my own rather than going through legalzoom.com.

Do I plan to look for a "traditional" job? still NO

No comments: