Thursday, November 15, 2007

SNAFU #1: Name issue



I've decided to start a SNAFU (Situation Normal: All Fucked Up) series because I know that there will be tons along the way. I'm sure anyone starting or even just looking into starting a business can share at least 100 of them. So my first snafu has to do with naming. I just received a message from Legalzoom saying that there was an issue with the name that I've chosen. Of course the message was sort of cryptic so I don't know the full story and when I tried calling them back the queue was insane so I'm basically waiting for them to call me back - which I know won't happen anytime soon.

So my application status is "On Hold". Lovin it.

UPDATE: So they didn't call me back by the end of the day so I called the customer service number again and finally got a hold of an agent. Apparently, the call was to let me know that the name I chose could potentially be declined by New York County. The agent said that the county is very picky when it comes to names - they "prefer" names to be in English and weren't too keen on intentional misspellings. Then he continues to say that the county is more lenient with names if you choose to file for an LLC or a Corporation OR I can apply for a more standard name... HMMMMmmmm - I'm sorry but did I accidentally put DUMB as my first name and ASS as my last name on the application?

I'll let you know how this turns out! I'm truly hoping that this was just a slimeball attempt to up-sell me on the corporation and LLC application (which is just unbelievable) and hopefully the claims against New York being a picky county is bogus. Fingers crossed that my non-standard intentionally misspelled English word gets approved =)

No comments: