Friday, March 28, 2008

Last Night's Dinner #99: Fuss-Free Steak with Olives

Quick and tasty has been the theme around here lately - so here's one more for the road.



I found this recipe in the latest issue of Gourmet. It took me about 15 minutes to make. The carrots took a little longer, but if you're in a rush you can stick with a leafy side like a simple salad or a fresh fennel and orange salad would be yum.

You'll need:
1 lb top sirloin boneless 1" thick
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of chopped garlic
1/4 cup of black olives in brine (I used kalamata olives) coarsely cut
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste
Fresh slices of lemon.



Heat up a cast iron skillet (not non-stick), make sure it's hot. Pat the steak dry and season with salt and pepper. Cook on one side for about 4 minutes (lower the heat if you notice it burning). Don't turn or move until the time is up. Turn and cook the other side for another 4 minutes. Remove from heat and place meat on a cutting board.

Add 2 tbs of olive oil to the pan and cook garlic and pepper flakes for 2 minutes until golden then add olives. Cook for a minute or so then remove from heat and add parsley.

Cut the meat into thin slices (cut on the bias - opposite of grain). Top with olive mixture and serve with fresh lemon slices.



I served it with grilled carrots.



And look what Hillsy brought home for dessert - cream puffs again! Yay!

3 comments:

'Cuz I Felt Like It! said...

I know we don't really know each other and all, but can I move in with you just so I can eat all the delicious looking food you cook? I'll clean!

Marichelle said...

Jessica, LOL as long as you bring the cute bears along! Plus you said the magic word - I HATE cleaning!

The Cooking Ninja said...

mmm ... that steak looks yummy and I love cream puffs.