Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mom's Cooking

mom's home cooking

We've been enjoying my mom's homecooked meals. The top pic is a Filipino dessert called puto bumbong, traditionally a Christmas-time treat. It's made out of glutinous rice topped with a shredded coconut + sugar + butter topping. I guess the purple color usually comes from food coloring, but my mom decided to use Ube (purple jam) to give it that color. The whole thing is then steamed in a banana leaf. Hillsy is currently obsessed with these and has been snarfing these things down like it's his job. She also made the best Pancit (noodles) over the weekend!

It's advanced training for the little one, we're hoping that she'll be just like her mommy and daddy and will soon be demanding Filipino dishes!

PS. As promised, I wanted to share one of the many not so lovely moments of pregnancy - just so we're all clear that it's not all roses, black & white tummy portraits and lovely nurseries....

Here's an email that I sent out last night to a poor unsuspecting friend:
OMG My ass hurts, I've come down with the dreaded roids ;)
This has got to stop!!! I'm currently sitting on an icepack in my crack... Lovely.


Definitely a Oh Hells No! moment.

3 comments:

Karen said...

YUMMMMMMM

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Me, it was me! I was the lucky friend! :) This food looks so good, I don't even want to think about how good a cook your mom must be. Now, I am so hungry!
xo
Melis

Pixie said...

OK I've been reading your blog for a while now and I just have to say...where's the darn baby!?! lol My friend is in the same situation, her husband has tried talking, coaxing, begging the baby to pop out of the belly but alas, another day.

Hope all goes well when it happens.

PS: Love the Oh Hells No moments! Too funny.