Thursday, August 28, 2008

Last Night's Dinner #127: Mushroom & Poached Quail Eggs Tagliatelle

I had this idea while walking around the market last Saturday. I've never cooked with Quail eggs before so I wanted to give it a try.

I need to work on my poaching skills.

Believe it or not, one of the hardest parts was actually cracking the egg shell without breaking the tiny yolk. The shell is much softer than chicken egg shell so it wasn't easy to get a clean break!

I bought a handful of random mushrooms and sauteed in butter, I didn't have any fresh herbs on hand but maybe sage would've been nice here (I just sprinkled some oregano)! Don't season too early or you'll mushrooms will get too watery. Salt draws out the moisture.

Then I just mixed in the pasta with the mushrooms and added a tad more butter ;)


I need to work on finessing this one but I think it's a good start.

1 comment:

kristina said...

so it looks like gustav is an angry storm and will be here soon. i started a blog at http://gustavwatch.blogspot.com to relay info about what's going in on here in jackson as we get ready to host hurricane evacuees and also prepare for the storm.
say a little prayer for all this folks =), it's going to be a bad one.