Monday, March 17, 2008

Does growing older lead to growing apart? Part II



Not too long ago I wrote a post about growing older and growing apart. I guess friendships, like most things in life, follow an ever-changing cyclical pattern. Or as Heidi would say - one day you're in, the next you're out!

Eight months ago I admitted defeat - "Hanging out with my girlfriends has become such a rare instance, but is a reality that I've sadly grown accustomed to." These days, I'm singing an entirely different tune... I'm happy to report that I now see my friends on a somewhat regular basis. I'm really not sure how it all changed, but we've had a constant flow of plans including brunch, dinner, lunch, movies, shopping, mani/pedi, waxing, guitar hero parties and even a cooking class. And tons of phone calls, IMs, text messages, emails, and facebook messages in between.

I wonder when the cycle will end - will we go off track again and get bogged down with our individual lives and go months without seeing each other again? I hope not, but at least now we know what the next cycle will bring! I just hope we won't have to wait for another Sex in the City reunion.

3 comments:

The Cooking Ninja said...

It's true that when we get older, our priorities changes and some things aren't the same anymore. It's not just friendship that is at risk of drifting, our relationship with our partner is also at risk if we aren't careful to stay tuned with each other.

Marichelle said...

pamela-you are definitely right about that one!

Unknown said...

I agree with the fact that as we get older and our responsibilities increase and we often (though unintentionally) lose track of friendships. However, if spending more time with our friends makes us happy, than it just takes a little planning and communication. Friendship, like all other relationships, take time but in the long run are absolutely worth it.

This "Oprah Moment" was brought to you by "Mentos - The Freshmaker" and by Adele's new album "19" - in stores now. Both proud sponsors of "Lifeflix."