Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I suck at making pie crust



I don't have much luck when it comes to baking, especially when it comes to crusts (pâte sucrée, pâte brisée, pâte whatever kind I try to make, it's just pâte-BAD!).

I was cleaning out my pantry this weekend and I noticed that my huge flour sack that I thought was ALL - PURPOSE FLOUR turns out to be BREAD FLOUR. Now, I can't be 100% sure if this has been the root of my baking woes but I'm sure it didn't help matters.

So what is the difference anyway? What the heck is cake four? Is it the same exact thing as pastry flour? I found two great links that uncover the mysteries of flour...

Did you know that one cup of sifted cake flour can be substituted with 3/4 cup (84 grams) sifted bleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch?

Flour demystified...

joyofbaking.com
whatscookingamerica.com

No comments: