Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Last Night's Dinner #30: Spicy Shrimp in Coconut Milk & Easy Baklava





I was so happy with how this dish turned out. I was a little weary since I've never really cooked with coconut milk before. I wanted to use up a cup of left-over coconut milk that I've been saving in the fridge as well as 1/2 lb of frozen shrimps in the freezer. I also had cilantro that I forgot to use when I made the fish tacos. Plus I had a can of whole tomatoes in the pantry, so here's what I came up with...

Spicy Shrimp in Coconut Milk
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Difficulty: Easy



You'll need:
1/2 cup of chopped onions
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tbs of ground coriander
1/8 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 tsp + of crushed red pepper depending on how spicy you want it - you can even add cayenne
1 tsp of lime zest
1/2 cup of canned tomatoes (2 mashed up tomatoes and a little bit of the juice)
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 cups of coconut milk

1/2 lb uncooked peeled, unveined shrimp (frozen ok but thawed)
2 tbs lime juice
about 2 tbs of fresh cilantro (leaves and stem torn)
salt and pepper to taste - add the salt little by little

Heat up 1 tbs of vegetable or canola oil. Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 mins. Season with salt. Be careful not to brown the garlic. Add ginger, coriander, cinnamon, crushed red pepper, bit more salt and pepper. Keep stirring. Cook for 3 more minutes. Mix in sugar, zest then add tomatoes and peas. Season with salt. Bring to a boil and add in coconut milk. Mix well. Add shrimps, season with salt and lower heat. Simmer until shrimps are cooked. Remove from heat and add lime juice and cilantro. Serve over cous cous or rice.

Bite size Baklava
I was watching the Food Network and saw this really easy to make bite size baklava recipe. So easy, would be a perfect ending to a dinner party or a party of two! If you have some pistachios around, grind some up and sprinkle on top with a drizzle of honey before serving. The nice hint of green color would look really cool =)





No comments: