Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Easy Veggie Sandwich


I'm definitely NOT a vegetarian but what's a girl to do when you're told that deli meat is a big no no when you're pregnant? Apparently eating any sort of deli meat could be risky coz it could contain listeria monocytogenes - a foodborne bacteria that can cause premature labor and stillbirths (yikes). I'm not one to banish anything from my diet (including the occasional caffeine drink) but this one kinda scared the crap out of me. SO, I stopped making my favorite turkey/ham sandwiches for lunch and came up with an alternative. Plus Ez is a vegetarian and I've been touting myself as a master sandwich maker so I had to prove it to her :) She gave me the idea of adding honey mustard and that's how this one came about...

You'll need:
2 slices of Oat Nut Bread (Whole Foods brand) toasted
handful of mixed greens
slices of red bell pepper
thinly sliced cucumber (skin on)
sliced tomatoes (seasoned with salt + pepper)
sliced swiss cheese or whatever cheese you like
mayonnaise
balsamic vinaigrette*
honey mustard dressing*
salt & pepper

Balsamic Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup quality extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 to 1 tsp sugar
1/2 pinch of black pepper
1/2 tbs water (tap)
*optional tiny squeeze of fresh lemon juice

Mix everything but the olive oil. While mixing with a fork or a small whisk, drizzle in the olive oil into your vinegar mixture. Taste and season according to taste.

Honey mustard:
Mix equal parts yellow mustard + honey

Putting it all together:

Prepare both dressings.

Toast bread. By the way, I highly recommend the Whole Foods Nut Oat Bread (green bag). If you can't find it, Pepperide Farm's Hearty Oat bread is a good substitute. In the meantime, cut all your veggies.

Spread mayo on both slices of bread (one side only). Spread about a teaspoon or so of the honey mustard dressing (both slices) on top of the mayo. Layer one side with the cucumber slices, then the peppers, tomatoes and mixed greens. Slowly drizzle balsamic vinaigrette over the mixed greens OR you can toss the greens with dressing in a separate bowl. I'm too lazy to do this and I hate having extra dishes to wash so I just drizzle it once it's on the sandwich. Top with cheese and the other slice of bread. That's it!

I usually eat my sandwiches with potato chips but this time I was a bit more healthy and served it with some fresh strawberries.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to be veg and sandwiches like this were my go to lunch. Try adding some avocado you'll love it plus it helps you stay full for a long time.

Ez said...

Hurray! The best sandwich E-VER! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us! xox Ez

Kerry Pitt-Hart said...

thanks for sharing marichelle! this sounds fabulous!

Melissa de la Fuente said...

I have NO doubts that it is THE best sandwich ever....because I know what a master you are in the kitchen( YES, you ARE) so, I am on this! In a big ole way! :)
xo
Melis

Amanda said...

Traveled over here from Ez's blog earlier - hi! Being preggers too, this looked delish - made a variation of it today for lunch w/ wheat bread, muenster cheese, minus the cucumbers (use my last one yesterday!) - & I grilled it - OH YES! So good! Thank you!

I'll be visiting again! xo

Laura said...

A friend of mine made one for me with slices of strawberry and avocado, thinly sliced red onion, and lettuce on focaccia w/ balsamic dressing-- it was a-MAY-zing. Veggie sandwiches can be full of awesome too.

Marichelle said...

Hi everyone!!

Ooh avocado and red onions would be awesome additions. Sometimes i like to substitute mayo with avocado, soooo good and good for you right???

I love red onions too, i'll have to give that one a shot after my taste buds calm down. For some reason the after taste is a little too much for me to handle at the moment but as soon as the baby is born - I'm sure I'll be back in business again!!

Jenipher Lyn said...

This sounds amazing. :)

Sammi said...

Yum yum sounds delish!

robayre said...

mmmm, delicious! Now I'm inspired and will probably be eating similar sandwiches the rest of the week. Thank you!