Friday, March 7, 2008

Holiday Finds



I didn't have much of a choice when it came to books. I was ill prepared and didn't pack one ahead of time, so I was left with only a handful to choose from at the crappy airport magazine store. Like my magazine preference for flights (gossip), I have a few requirements when it comes to holiday books: mindless read, page-turner and of course a chick-flick-esque plot.

I haven't been much of a reader lately, I think mostly due to the time thing. If I am reading, it's usually a crafting or small business how-to book.

Body Surfing certainly fit the bill and I surprisingly liked it. I'm happy to report that the Washington Post were right on the money. It was indeed "An egrossing page-turner". Mind you, I didn't go and over analyze the plot - I read a review which said "The sad part of this novel to me is that Sydney never grows as a character, never learns from her past history. At novel's end she is making the same mistakes she has made all her life. When the intensity of the brothers' competitiveness erupts and leaves Sydney an emotional wreck, one would hope she would grow from the experience. Perish that hope." Hmmm she may have a point, but I'm guessing she wasn't basking in the sun, on her third miami vice at 11am.

My second find was another pleasant surprise. The nice thing about being on a tight budget, is that you get to discover a whole new set of products - drugstore makeup! I was scouring Duane Reade for lipgloss before I left. I was going back and forth between Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena and Cover Girl. It must be my loyalty to America's Next Top Model coz I decided on Cover Girl's Wetslicks Original ($6). Surprisingly very light in texture and I was very very happy with the color that I got (Firefly). I give this one a thumbs up, it can definitely compete with Bobbi Brown's or even Chanel's for a 1/4 of the price. This tube is going to last me forever, a little goes a long way!

No comments: