Monday, February 4, 2008

Weekend Wrap-up: I'm getting old!

How do the youngsters do it?? I'm so exhausted (and stuffed)!



My weekend started early with a wine class on Thursday night. Hillsy signed us up for a 2-day intro to wine course at the Institute of Culinary Education. It was a great class and if you live near/in the city I highly recommend taking it. It was more of an introduction to different types of wines rather than learning about wine terminology (legs, finish etc). I think I'll write a separate post about the whole experience.

We had dinner at Knife + Fork for a friend's birthday on Friday - soooo good. Again, I highly recommend checking out Knife + Fork if you're in the neighborhood. The 6-Course Chef tasting menu ($45) is such a great deal. We've eaten there twice before and we've always left happy. I love how the integrity of each key ingredient (e.g., scallop, Long Island Duck, Haddock) stays intact even in the midst of the more complex sauce, broth, rub, marinade that accompanies each one.

My girlfriends and I had dinner at Southern Hospitality (Justin Timberlake's restaurant) on Saturday night. I had the Homestyle Fried Chicken Platter (Buttermilk marinated and deep fried until golden brown, served with garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, greens & cornbread.) I was pretty happy with my dish, but then again who can possibly get this dish wrong? The place was very casual and had more of a bar vibe. TVs on the walls, papertowel rolls on the tables, Budweiser ketchup holder - I think you get the picture. The food wasn't bad but I don't think I'll be returning to this JT production anytime soon.


We started with the BBQ Nachos - A huge portion of fresh tortilla chips topped with our BBQ beans, cheddar cheese, BBQ sauce, sour cream, guacamole, and homemade pico de gallo.) This looks like crap, but it was actually really really good.


Homestyle Fried Chicken Platter


We finished the meal with the Peach Cobbler.

We then headed over to a bar to celebrate Joanna's and Hillsy's Bday.


Hillsy is so tall - this is usually the angle of most of the pics I take of him. And YES, he is holding a karaoke mic singing Elvis' Hound Dog!

Chick Flick Sunday officially kicked off. We saw 27 Dresses - it was cute, it wasn't the BEST movie in the world but it was watchable and I think it was the perfect movie to kick off the series (I hope).

The weekend came to a close at Seymour Burton, a new local favorite!


Roasted Chicken with lemon and thyme - not sure if you can see it, but there's a layer of mascarpone and prosciutto hiding beneath the skin! Yum.

No comments: