Friday, December 21, 2007

Last Night's Dinner #71: Chicken Pastel



My sister sent me the recipe to try but I'm a little confused because when I google "Chicken Pastel", most of the recipes incorporate a pastry crust on top - sort of like chicken pot pie. Anyone have any insights on this?



Regardless of what it's called, it was good . Although I feel like something was missing, all of the flavors were muted and blended into one nondescript flavor. It was definitely missing some sort of acid or punch, so tried to add a bit of lemon (tested it out by taking a small amount of the sauce in a cup and mixed in some lemon juice) - good thing I tested it first because I didn't like the way it tasted. So I left it as is.



It was a pretty easy recipe to follow. Chicken thighs (cut up into pieces), onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes and evaporated milk. You basically brown the chicken in oil, butter, onions and garlic. Season with fish sauce, salt and pepper. Then you add the chopped potatoes and allow them to brown a bit. (brown a little). Then add the chopped carots (cook for 5 mins or so) then pour in evaporated milk and allow to simmer until potatoes are fork tender and the chicken is cooked.

I'll have to play with this recipe a little more... maybe I'll turn it into something totally different!

No comments: