Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Minstrels ruin a perfectly good muffin



I baked the Dark Chocolate Muffins from Baking Bites, but I think I made a mistake by adding Minstrels instead of semisweet chocolate chips/chunks. I fell in love with Minstrels on my last trip to the UK and I was determined to use them in baking. However, I'm not sure that this was the right time and place for them.



Since I used Valrhona Bittersweet Chocolate Guanaja (70%) for the main batter, I think it would have been better if I had followed the recipe and incorporated 1 cup of chocolate chips/chunks at the end as instructed, instead of the Minstrels. I just think they would've been ten times better if they were a little sweeter and more gooey. Unfortunately, the candy shell around the Minstrels stood between me and the "sweeter-gooey" factor. But they are MUFFINS after all (meant for breakfast with a cup of tea or coffee) and not CUPCAKES - so maybe I'm being a little harsh on myself.

Also, don't they look a little on the light side? Almost like bran muffins v. dark chocolate? They don't look "Dark", I'm pretty sure that I used the 70% bar, although it was unlabeled... hmmm. I'm gonna have to try this recipe one more time. I also have to decrease the baking time (they turned out a little dry).



If I had to do it all over again, I would use standard chocolate chips and not ones covered with a protective armor of candy shell coating =)

No comments: