Monday, May 12, 2008

Sushi Master Class

My friends and I took a Sushi Master class over at SOY this Saturday and it was so much fun.

Etsko (owner/instructor) was awesome and showed us how to make the rice - the most important element and taught us the art of rolling (which I haven't quite mastered yet). If you're in the area, I would definitely recommend taking the class with a couple of friends.


SOY - such a cute little restarant


Prepping ingredients: cutting tuna


Prepping Spicy Tuna


Rolling


My first attempt


We also learned how to make hand rolls


.... and the best part - eating what we made!

Thanks for sending over your pics Luis!

7 comments:

Mj Reed said...

hey, have you heard of Kuya being an expert on this too! Ask him how he made his first batch of sushi for Manel's surprise bash 2yrs. ago.---MJ

Andrea Eames said...

Fun! I love making sushi.

Marichelle said...

mj/Amanda: it was so much fun. Can't wait to try this out in my own kitchen!

cakewardrobe said...

I must classes! How often are they? You look like a pro already!

Marichelle said...

cakewardrobe: I believe she has them twice a month. I would send her an email (she's really good about getting back to you right away) since her site isn't updated. Have fun!

vanillasugarblog said...

Ohhh I wish we had those types of classes where I live. That looks like fun, and I need to learn how to do this since I spend way too much on Sushi takeout.

Marichelle said...

hi Dawn, once you have the ingredients I really think it's all about the rolling technique. Maybe one day you can sit in front of the sushi bar and watch how they roll the rolls or attempt to ask them to do a few slowly so you can really see how to do it - I'm sure they'd be willing to!

Let me know if you need the full ingredients list and detailed recipes, I'll be more than happy to email them to you!