Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Honey Lemonade

I thought I'd take a break from cooking after last night's debacle, but I do have this to share ...



Growing up in the Philippines, I grew up drinking fresh Kalamansi juice almost everyday - that and Tang! Kalamansi is sort of a cross between a lime and a mandarin orange so it's a lot sweeter and not quite as tart as a lemon, at least when it's riped. So for me, traditional lemonade can be a bit too tart and sweet. It gives me that ack feeling in the back of the throat, for a lack of a better word.



Lately, I've been obsessed with making this honey and lemon drink. I knew I was obsessed when I saw 2 bags of lemons in my Trader Joe's basket. It's very easy to make - just mix the lemon juice and honey first (I guess the acidity of the lemon helps break down the honey) then add the water, ice and stir. You can add super fine sugar or a little bit of simple syrup if you prefer it to be sweeter. Add some freshly torn mint leaves for a nice subtle twist. Replace water with white Rum + club soda if you really want to be happy =)

3 comments:

Donal said...

Hey! This looks great! Got such a summer vibe from this- might have drinks on the balcony this evening! :)And btw don't give up on the cooking just yet! :)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... Cute logo, I used to work for Netflix:-) Like the way you've laid out your recipe!

Marichelle said...

donal: thanks! I'm kind of addicted to them and can't stop drinking them. I should probably make a pitcher so I don't have to get up as often :)

norecipes: really!? Ya, I figured my site would slip under the trademark-radar Ssshhhh :)