Tuesday, January 15, 2008

January check-up

I didn't have a chance to do a December check-in, but I guess that's ok since the holidays pretty much took over last month and I didn't really do much soul searching.



I always have my eye on new openings AND the unfortunate closings. I've noticed a handful of small businesses shutting down just within a 10-block radius from my apartment. It's not looking so good out there!

Do I plan to sell the stuff I make?

I have! As some of you know, the stars finally aligned and I was able to open up my etsy shop (which will be updated by the end of this month with new products) a couple of weeks ago. My store is the ultimate work-in-progress - a place that reflects not only my personality, but also my constantly evolving ideas and passions. Most things will be one-of-a-kind items. My goal (albeit naive) is to allow my heart and hands to control the inventory. I hear so many handmakers complaining about getting stuck making the same old thing over and over again. How many stuffed mushrooms can you possibly make before you're driven to eat poisonous shrooms to snap you out of the misery. But then again, if it's your way of living - how can you not make what makes money?? Hmmm - I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there!

I'm currently feverishly working on a new line (not scarves), hoping to catch a deadline to be part of an online market. Sorry to be so miss mysterio about it, I just don't want to jinx myself.

Am I any closer to owning my own shop?
Unfortunately, this idea is indefinitely on hold. I've been thinking about this A LOT and I've decided that now is definitely not the the time for me to invest everything in a shop. Especially not in New York City. Yes, the market is definitely here - but so is the competition. It's not only the unpredictable economy that's got me back-tracking. I think the novelty factor of owning/running a shop, the magic dust, has finally settled. The dust has been replaced by the not so magical reality of running a 24/7 business and everything that comes with it. There's so much more I want to accomplish - traveling, cooking, spending time with my best friends and family, making things for the sake of enjoying the process. All those things would be compromised and that's just not something I'm prepared to do, at least not right now.

Updates since last check-up:
I'm currently looking into incorporating. After the DBA fiasco, I will more than likely do this on my own!

Do I plan to look for a "traditional" job? still NO

No comments: