Monday, December 10, 2007

Last Night's Dinner #69: Butternut Squash Ravioli





I saw Batali on Martha a few weeks ago whipping up Butternut Squash Ravioli and wanted to give it a try but with a little less effort. So instead of roasting fresh squash and making my own pasta, I came up with a quick and easy version.



I've seen Wonton wrappers used as ravioli in many cooking shows and have always wanted to try it - so I went to a local Asian store and bought a pack.



I used frozen butternut squash (found it in the frozen vegetables aisle) and simply added a handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, a couple of pinches of nutmeg, a little less than 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper. I mixed and heated everything together until the cheese melted. I suggest adding the ingredients a little at a time and taste it as you go. You may prefer more or less cheese, nutmeg and vinegar.



I allowed the mixture to cool down a bit, then I spooned about a tablespoon of the filling in the center of a wrapper. I made a little over a dozen. Make sure your sauce is ready before cooking the ravioli.

In the meantime, I made a simple brown butter sage sauce (again) - it went perfectly with the butternut squash. Just take half a stick of unsalted butter and melt it until nutty brown. Add whole sage leaves until they crisp up. Spoon over the ravioli.

Boil ravioli in about a quart of super salty water - make sure you don't overcook. Just like fresh pasta, the wontons cook fairly quick. You may want to go directly from pot to plate because they get quite sticky and hard to flatten just right once dry. Immediately spoon over a couple of spoonfuls of the butter & sage sauce. Like Batali, I topped it with grated Amaretti cookies.



I love the wonton wrappers, I think it's going to be one of my product must-haves. I've seen Giada make fried Nutella Ravioli with them - Yummm!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I made these last night and they were fantastic. I cooked my own butternut squash in the microwave - so easy and makes the house smell so good!
Next time I might try using just one wonton wrapper per ravioli and making a triangle.