Tuesday, November 13, 2007

How to: Price your Craft



I think the majority of folks who make handmade goods sell themselves short, especially in the beginning stages. So how do you price something that you've worked on for a week, poured in 3 days of love and 5 hours worth of sweat?

I'm still trying to figure this all out myself...
Although I haven't found a magic pricing formula, these expert bloggers have certainly helped shed some light on the most important things to consider when coming up with a price...

Posie Gets Cozy - Wholesale, Retail, and Beginning to Sell Your Handmades to Shops, Part I
Posie Gets Copy - Wholesale, Retail, and Beginning to Sell Your Handmades to Shops, Part II
U-handbag - Pricing your Bag

3 comments:

DFTH said...

congrats..baby steps ought to do it. slowly but surely.

IamSusie said...

My feeling is that no one would want to pay a fair price for the things that take me days and days to make.

I'm trying to make some smaller things that can be made in multiples. That's the stuff I'm drawn to at craft fairs anyway.

Marichelle said...

Hi Susie, are you referring to selling wholesale or retail (or both)? Have you already tried approaching higher-end boutiques to gauge whether or not there would be some interest in your higher priced goods?

----

Thanks Tom, I'll keep you posted!