Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Life for rent

I've had this in my mind for the past month and I finally got around to doing it yesterday. That happens so often, great ideas that are left by the sidelines.

So, last month I bought a set of greeting cards designed by Lisa Congdon with the intention of hanging them up. I adore her work but don't have much funds at the moment so I thought what a great way to own something that represents her work. At first I planned to frame each one but I never got around to finding the perfect frame... luckily a vision of a clothesline and clothespins entered my crazy brain and here we have it!

My clock has been lonely for the past 2 months. I think it was about time he got some friends. Hammered in 3 nails and tied twine to each one.

Using clothespins (I bought at the 99 cents store), I attached each card to the line. These would work great with photos too!

I used to own a home (apartment) before I got divorced. Back then I was so obsessed with having a perfect home - everything had to match. Each room in the house had to look like the cover of a Pottery Barn magazine. Then life changed. I moved into a subleased apartment in the city the size of my bedroom, I was living with someone else's furniture, someone else's plates but I couldn't be happier. It was like living someone else's life until I found mine again. Two years later, I still love that none of my furniture matches, my plates are random, my towels and beddings are mismatched... I don't feel like my stuff own me, they don't define who I am. To me, it's just stuff and I can move tomorrow and I wouldn't have to worry about lugging everything along with me. Don't get me wrong, I love everything in my apartment, I just don't feel tied down to it. I guess it's the bright side of renting. Some say it's a waste of money but right now it works and I'm happier than I've ever been. Oh and I found my life again.

This post reminded me of one of Dido's songs:

Life for rent
by Dido
I haven't really ever found a place that I call home
I never stick around quite long enough to make it
I apologize that once again I'm not in love
But it's not as if I mind
that your heart ain't exactly breaking
It's just a thought, only a thought

But if my life is for rent and I don't learn to buy
Well I deserve nothing more than I get
Cos nothing I have is truly mine

I've always thought
that I would love to live by the sea
To travel the world alone
and live my life more simply
I have no idea what's happened to that dream
Cos there's really nothing left here to stop me

It's just a thought, only a thought
But if my life is for rent and I don't learn to buy
Well I deserve nothing more than I get
Cos nothing I have is truly mine

While my heart is a shield and I won't let it down
While I am so afraid to fail so I won't even try
Well how can I say I'm alive
If my life is for rent...


mj said...

'definetely know what you mean!! We also love our duplex here but are also desiring to get our house for the sake of the kids---you know backyard essentials,etc.. We do miss our 9 bathroom house in Bloomington and our mega home theatre but at the same time we don't miss the mega buck mortgage!! Boy, you are too creative!! I think i need to hire you to some major uplifting here at our place!LOL!! Can i fly you here for free!! We've got lots of mileage to burn!!!---MJ

Tom said...

This article is uplifting. You almost made me cry here at work (listening to a conference call at the same was so boring i decided to launch lifeflix. Thanks for sharing Dido's cut. awesome and inspiring. It's funny too how you mentioned, "I'm happier than I've ever been." I know exactly what you mean.