Thursday, August 30, 2007

The city that never sleeps



I'm not sure how life got to be so complicated, but when I listen to stories from yesteryear things back then just didn't seem as complicated. It's funny, as we move towards the future our collective goals as a society tend to focus on advancing technologically and scientifically but on the flip side of that coin, there's a craving to go back in time to the "good old days". A time when family dinners were nightly affairs and chivalry wasn't a slap in the face to feminism. Anyway, my point is that life has become a game of time or should I say lack of. How many of your friends actually work the official 9 to 5 hours stated in our work contracts? How many of your co-workers tinker with their blackberries (crackberries) instead of giving you their undivided attention? How many of us are enjoying ready-made meals instead of home-baked pie crusts?

I wonder if a big part of the problem is where we live? Is New York City or any other bustling city a breeding ground for too busy, too many choices and a "there's always something better" mentality? Although I love it here and can't see myself anywhere else (except maybe in Kate Winslet's cottage in Holiday), I can't help but wonder... is it nature or nurture?

Image courtesy of Visit DC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We need to rewind to the 1950s. Better hair, better cars, better milkshakes. We just need to eliminate the threat of global nuclear catastrophe and it would've been the perfect era!

Interesting thing is that when people look back to the 2000s, what's going to truly define it? I can't really think of anything other than technological driven blandness.