Tuesday, July 17, 2007

O Capitalism!


My new favorite blog has inspired me to go on a little journey.
Have you ever been to a Salvation Army, a garage sale, or a flea market? There's so much STUFF out there. There's absolutely no need for anyone to ever buy anything brand new. I'm sure we could all survive by reusing and recycling all of our material belongings. I know, I know - the market would crash, Anthropologie would have to file for bankruptcy and lots of people would be find themselves clinically depressed.

I'm invigorated by the opportunity to provide second life. I recently purchased these 2 wooden trays, 2 wooden wall hangings and a lovely silver plated bowl (made in Italy) - all for the bargain price of $9.99 from the Union Square Salvation Army. I haven't decided the specifics yet but I have a few ideas. I could paint the serving trays and give them a more weathered/vintage look, I could cover them with vintage paper or maybe even paint a pattern. Too many choices!

I also came across this top from the Monk Thrift shop on Avenue B. I was immediately drawn to the pattern and it's free-flowing nature. I love the bold graphics and love love love the burnout look. I think it was originally a blouse but I have other plans for it - I see it more of a dress. I picture it with black tights and platform shoes for the early fall. I think the first step is to create a slit on the sleeves all the way up to the shoulder - I want to give the sleeves less of a Dolman shape (I think?) Wish me luck with this one!

1 comment:

DFTH said...

I tell ya that FIT spirit is still in you. P.S. If you haven't watched the movie, Red Violin, go see it. Good thing it wasn't a blockbuster hit or anything, these thrift shops would struggle.