Friday, January 11, 2008

My first zipper

Happy Friday!!!



I have a tendency to buy craft supplies that I have no urgent need for. I guess I figure that one day I'll get around to learning the skill to use them. I bought a whole bunch of zippers from joann.com a long time ago and I finally persuaded myself to find a project that required one. Besides, it was a good way to break-in Miss Greta.

This explains why I don't have a "Last Night's Dinner" post - it took me about 3 hours or so to complete this pouch. That doesn't include the prep work (cutting and ironing), which I started on Wednesday. So, we ordered in from one of our favorite Thai take-out places...



It's far from perfect, but I'm pretty happy considering it's my first ever pouch and the first time working with zippers. I definitely should've used a stabilizer, it lacks structure and it's pretty soggy. For those not familiar with sewing - a stabilizer is what it sounds like. It's basically another layer of fabric that you add in between the outside fabric and the lining, to give it some weight. If you're interested in learning more about bag-making, Lisa at U-handblog wrote an excellent post about interfacing/stabilizers and has a whole bunch of great tutorials on her site.

I had some problems with attaching the zipper - my ends did not come out symmetrical.



I followed the Straight Sided Triangular Cosmetic Bag tutorial on craftster.org. I had a hard time understanding the zipper part, but I don't think it was the writer's fault - I'm just an amateur sewer!

Have a nice weekend everybody... gotta go work on the official next project!

2 comments:

Yuri Bacas Hosaka said...

I am looking forward to use zippers but I'm too scared to try work with one! Intimidated!! Perhaps in my next project...

Marichelle said...

hi Yuri! I know, it was a little scary at first but you can do it! Just get over the first one and you'll be just fine!!